Stats NZ has a new website.

For new releases go to

As we transition to our new site, you'll still find some Stats NZ information here on this archive site.

  • Share this page to Facebook
  • Share this page to Twitter
  • Share this page to Google+
Building Consents Issued: October 2015
Embargoed until 10:45am  –  30 November 2015

About building consents issued

Building consents issued contains statistics on consents for residential and non-residential buildings by region and building type. It includes the number, value, and floor area of new residential dwellings, and the value of consents for residential alterations and additions. It also includes the value of consents for non-residential buildings, and the floor area of new non-residential buildings.

Values include goods and services tax and are not inflation adjusted. We classify buildings according to their main intended function. Subsequent changes in function will be recorded in the statistics if new consents are issued. Territorial authorities issue building consents.

More definitions

Apartments: are dwellings identified as apartments on building consents, excluding those in retirement villages.

Building nature: refers to the nature of the construction, and includes new buildings, altered, and new-plus-altered buildings.

  • Alterations and additions: includes building repairs, alterations, additions, extensions, strengthening, re-cladding, and relocation to another site.
  • New buildings: are new constructions, and include conversions. For example, if a hotel is converted to apartments, the value of building work is classified to new dwellings.

Dwellings: are self-contained permanent residences. Examples include houses, apartments, townhouses, granny flats, and licence-to-occupy retirement village units.

Domestic outbuildings: examples include sleepouts (not fully self-contained), carports, garages, and garden sheds on residential sections.

Earthquake-related building consents in Canterbury: are building consents issued in the Canterbury region and identified (primarily by the issuing authorities) as being earthquake-related.

Not all earthquake-related consents can be identified. For example, if a new house (to replace a damaged house) is built at a different site, the new house might not be identified as being earthquake-related.

Note: excludes seismic strengthening work and demolitions.

Education buildings: examples include pre-schools, schools, polytechnics, and university buildings.

Factories and industrial buildings: examples include sawmills, freezing works, workshops, and hangars.

Farm buildings: examples include milking sheds, hay barns, implement sheds, and fattening units.

Hospitals, nursing homes, and other health buildings: examples include retirement villages (excluding units), and medical laboratories.

Hostels, boarding houses, and prisons: examples include children's homes and workers’ quarters.

Houses: are houses not attached to other houses.

Non-building construction: is work that requires a building consent, but is not a building. For example, retaining walls, roads, bridges, signs, and wharves. Many civil engineering works require a resource consent but not a building consent, so are excluded.

Non-residential buildings: includes new construction, alterations, and additions to commercial, industrial, and other non-residential buildings such as schools, hospitals, libraries, and farm buildings.

Note: hostels, rest homes, and serviced apartments are classified as non-residential buildings.

Office, administration, and public transport buildings: examples include police stations, postal centres, banks, and railway stations.

Residential buildings: includes new construction, alterations, and additions to dwellings and domestic outbuildings.

Retirement village units: are villas, townhouses, apartments, or other dwellings within a retirement village, including those owned through a license-to-occupy. Excludes care apartments.

Shops, restaurants, and bars: examples include cafés, retail outlets, and service stations.

Social, cultural, and religious buildings: examples include sports facilities, museums, libraries, cinemas, and funeral parlours.

Storage buildings: examples include warehouses, cool stores, wharf sheds, and parking buildings.

Territorial authorities: are defined under the Local Government Act 2002 and related amendments. There are 67 territorial authorities – Auckland Council, 12 city councils, 53 district councils, and Chatham Islands Council.

Townhouses, flats, units, and other dwellings: examples include granny flats, and minor dwellings such as studios.

  • Share this page to Facebook
  • Share this page to Twitter
  • Share this page to Google+
  • Share this page to Facebook
  • Share this page to Twitter
  • Share this page to Google+